The Tourism Authority of Thailand will organize the annual Wax Castle Procession and Long Boat Race Festival in the northeastern Thai province of Sakon Nakhon during October 23-27, 2015.
The five-day event is held annually to mark the end of Buddhist Lent. This year, it will take place at Suan Ming Mueang, Suan Somdej Phra Srinagarindra and Phra That Choeng Chum Worawihan Temple in the city’s municipal area.
It is customary for Thai Buddhist to visit temples to make merit and pay respect to their ancestors. For local artisans, the festival gives them the opportunity to display their wax-carving skills.
Over the years, the festival has drawn a large number of Thai and foreign tourists, thanks to the introduction of the boat race, Muay Thai boxing and cultural performances. First-time visitors are astounded by the talent and artistic vision of the local sculptors, while the boat races create a lot of fun and excitement.
At the end of the Buddhist Lent, the beautiful wax sculptures are paraded around the municipal area.
There are many Buddhist temples in Sakon Nakhon, and you can hire a guide to bring you to see these beautiful temples.
• Oct 23 (09.00-18.00) -- Boat Races (Qualifier), Boat Race Cheering Team Contest , and Peacock Feather Dance Contest.
• Oct 24 (09.00-18.00) -- Boat Races (Quarterfinals and finals).
• Oct 25 (08.00-19.00) -- Display of wax castles made by local people at Ming Mueng Sakon Nakhon Park.
• Oct 26 (14.00-18.00) -- The wax castle procession starts at Sakon-Nakae Road (intersection) with the performance by folk music and art (Northeastern style). The wax castle procession moves to Wat Chuchum. (from 5 pm)
• Oct 27 (06.00-07.00): Mini Marathon “Phadeang-Nang Ai Family” or you can make merit to give food to a Buddhist Monk (Put Food in the bowl of Buddhist priests in the morning)
P.S. There are many activities throughout the festival at the OTOP mobile shop and the amusement park, in addition to the wax castle exhibition and northeastern-style concerts. There are also food shops offering Thai and ASEAN food.
For more information, contact:
Sakon Nakhon City Municipality
Tel. +66 4273 3168
TAT Nakhon Phanom Office
Tel. +66 4251 3490-1