insideaseaninsideasean about usabout us contact uscontact us site map
Asean & Global Updates
POSTED | 0:17 AM | 20-04-2017

Pence vows ‘overwhelming’ response to N.Korea

The United States will counter any North Korean attack with an “overwhelming and effective” response, Vice President Mike Pence vowed on Wednesday (April 19, 2017), as he stood on the deck of a massive American aircraft carrier docked in Japan, AFP reported.

Donald Trump’s deputy is in the region to reassure allies fretting over Pyongyang’s quickening missile programme, and its apparent readiness to carry out another banned nuclear test in its quest to develop an atomic weapon that can hit the US mainland.

Pence, whose visit started in South Korea the day after the failed launch by North Korea of what analysts said could have been a new missile, described the threat from the isolated regime as growing.

Aboard the USS Ronald Reagan, the vice president, adopting a Churchillian tone, told troops he was there as “storm clouds gather on the horizon” of Northeast Asia.

“North Korea is the most dangerous and urgent threat to peace and security in the Asia-Pacific,” Pence said.

But “we will defeat any attack and meet any use of conventional or nuclear weapons with an overwhelming and effective American response.”

 

In This Section
MOST READ
most read
Korean fever strikes Bhutan
Through the Thai royal lenses
Beauty is not skin deep
Celebrity power & consumer behaviour
TRAVEL & LEISURE
China now the biggest source of foreign tourists to Boston
China now the biggest source of foreign tourists to Boston
A record number of Chinese tourists visited Boston last year, dethroning the United Kingdom as the No.1 source of overseas tourists.
 TRAVEL & LEISURE more