insideaseaninsideasean about usabout us contact uscontact us site map
Asean & Global Updates
POSTED | 10:45 AM | 02-05-2014

Myanmar earns $947 million from timber exports

Myanmar exported teak, hardwood and other timber worth altogether US$947 million in the 2013-2014 fiscal year, according to the Ministry of Commerce.

The trade value of teak, hardwood, plywood, and other wood products exported overseas was US$916 million while timber exported overland reached US$31 million.

Teak logs were the largest export with a value of US$638 million while nearly 34,328 tonnes of teak lumber was exported with a net worth of US$31.552 million.

From 2001 to 2013, illegal timber exports amounted to 16.5 million cubic metres with a net worth of US$5.7 billion, according to a report from the Environmental Investigation Agency (EIA).

The report titled Data Corruption shows a billion dollar gap in trade during the last 15 years between the Myanmar government’s records of timber exports and information from worldwide log traders.

Government statistics show that Myanmar exported only 28 percent of international timber, with the remaining 72 percent done illegally. In the last 14 years, 8 million cubic metres of wood was traded without the permission of the Myanmar Timber Enterprise (MTE).

Moreover, the illegal log trading with southern Yunnan province of China amounted to US$413 million every year. The EIA has refuted statements by the Myanmar government that illegal logging is only occurring in ethnic regions.

 

In This Section
MOST READ
most read
Korean fever strikes Bhutan
Through the Thai royal lenses
Beauty is not skin deep
10 Bollywood celebrities and their crazy obsessions
TRAVEL & LEISURE
China now the biggest source of foreign tourists to Boston
China now the biggest source of foreign tourists to Boston
A record number of Chinese tourists visited Boston last year, dethroning the United Kingdom as the No.1 source of overseas tourists.
 TRAVEL & LEISURE more